Pages

7.29.2010

sleepless nights

I cannot sleep anymore
it’s been going on for weeks now
my brain has anxiety and will not shut off
my body wants sleep but my brain will not allow it

I woke up my sick Mark at 11PM
I was folding laundry in the dark hallway
I felt bad
I did not think I was being loud

finally I crawl into bed
my eyes are burning
it’s 11:30PM

my head hits the pillow
then my brain starts spinning with thoughts

I look up and it’s 12:00AM
I cannot sleep
so I watch Mark sleep

after a few minutes mark opens his eyes and asks

“what are you doing?”

“watching you sleep.

I did not know you were awake”

“I have not been able to go back to sleep since you woke me up”

“sorry”

I feel really bad
so I try even harder to sleep

we toss and turn for another half hour
Mark announces he is going down to the sofa

now I’m alone in bed
and I still cannot sleep
I hear Miles in the other room

I go in
pick him up
put him in bed with me

watch him sleep
snuggle with him
finally I catch 2 hours of sleep

2 comments:

  1. Kevin aka: Dad7/29/2010 7:02 PM

    Sorry Dray, you can blame that trait from Grandpa(Kyle)Downs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say it must be a Furness thing until I read Kevin's comment. So I'm sorry to say you must get the sleeplessness from both sides! Yikes! I usually sleep like a baby and Dallas roams the house trying to catch a little shuteye here, a little shuteye there. I have had enough sleepless nights however to know that it isn't fun when you have a lot to do the next day and your brain just won't shut down. I hope tonight is better for you.

    ReplyDelete