Pages

3.12.2013

Reading List

Ever since Miles passed Mark and I have been consumed with reading books.
Specifically books that are based on LDS scripture, doctrine, quotes and journal entries of past prophets, etc. about death, the spirit world and the coming of the Lord.
It's amazing just how much peace and comfort they bring us.
It seems when we aren't reading these books, life is harder and our spirits are down.
They have helped us both so much.

It's funny that we are even sharing books and deep conversations with my Grandpa on the matter now.
He lost his sweetheart almost 5 years ago.
It's wonderful to hear his perspective as he is a very well verse man in the gospel.

Many people have asked for our reading list so here it is.

Books Read:
- Angel Children- Those Who Die Before Accountability by Mary V. Hill
- The Journey Beyond Life by Michele R. Sorensen & Dr. David R Willmore (out of publication but you can find it on online)
- What's on the Other Side by Brent L. Top
- The Message by Lance Richardson
- Gone Too Soon- The Life and Loss of Infants and Unborn Children by Sherri Devashrayee Wittwer
- The Birth We Call Death by Dunn/Eyre (out of publication but you can find it on online)
- The Coming of the Lord by Gerald Lund
- When You Can't Do It Alone by Brent L. Top
- Tragedy or Destiny by Spencer W. Kimball (out of publication but you can find it on online)
- Return From Tomorrow by George Ritchie (out of publication but you can find it on online)
- Visions of Glory as told to John Pontius
- The Triumph of Zion by John Pontius
- Following the Light of Christ into His Presence by John Pontius
-The Gateway We Call Death by Russell M. Nelson
- Through the Window of Life A Vision of the Glorious Future that Awaits the Lord's Followers by Suzanne Freeman

Currently Reading:
- For Times of Trouble by Jeffery R. Holland
- Book of Mormon
- Past Conferences
- Ensign articles (there are so many on grief, loss and personal trials as of late)

Books on the shelf to read:
- Life Everlasting: A Definitive Study of Life After Death by Duane S. Crowther
- Peace Be Unto Thy Soul by Joseph L. Bishop
- Doctrines of Salvation by Joseph Fielding Smith

(I might add that I'm not paid or compensated in any way for recommending of these books.)

I'm also wondering if anyone out there has any others books on this subject matter that they would suggest.
I would love to hear about them.

6 comments:

  1. I have one written by two teachers I had at BYU--it's called Mourning with Those Who Mourn. It's out of print, but used copies are available on Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Mourning-With-Those-Who-Mourn/dp/1570086265/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363097584&sr=8-1&keywords=mourning+with+those+that+mourn

    I'm biased because I know and love the people who put it together, but it's been one of my favorite books on loss throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say I MIGHT be biased... :) I really think if I didn't know them, I would still love it. It's a different, much more personal format than a lot of books on grief or loss.

      Delete
  2. I recommend The Infinite Atonement. I haven't read the entire book, but I have read some. It's very deep, but I was told that a good way to go about it is to read the chapters out of order as you need them. For example, one chapter is about peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book 'Heaven is Real" (I think that's the title) by a non LDS preacher about his sons experience with heaven. I like seeing that others have beliefs and experiences similar to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie,
      I forget, this one was given to us too. It too is on the shelf to read. I have to say I read other things that aren't just LDS based, and it is really interesting to see how similar people's accounts are. It's truly fascinating.

      Delete
  4. I have just come across your blog, and although I have never lost a child, I am ultra-sensitive to any parent who has lost a precious child. My sweet parents lost 2 children within 2 years of each other...both young and both to unexpected and sudden accidents.
    After a dear friend lost her 4-year-old son last summer, I asked my mom if there was a book that I might be able to give her that had helped my mom during her intense grief. I actually had to order it through Amazon, but wanted to share it with you, as well;

    "The Bereaved Parent" by Harriet Sarnoff Schiff.

    My family is LDS, but this book is not written by an LDS author, and although my mom read many helpful books based off of our faith in relation to grief and loss, she has always maintained that this particular book helped her immensely.
    She told me the 'beginning' of this book shared a story that spoke exactly what she was feeling, and couldn't put into words until reading that particular story...of, course, after she told me that, I had to read the introduction myself, and it is very powerful and gives even someone like me who has never experienced a loss of a child, a different perspective from the heart of a grieving parent.
    I would love to email you the 'story' if you are interested...just let me know @ jmr9505@gmail.com.
    Sincerely,
    Jenell

    ReplyDelete